eLearnSecurity’s eLearnSecurity Certified Malware Analysis Professional (eCMAP) certification is the most practical and professionally-oriented certification you can obtain in malware analysis. Instead of putting you through a series of multiple-choice questions, you are expected to perform a full analysis on a given malware sample, show proof of what the malware does, and finally write a signature that could be used to detect the malware sample on other systems or networks.
Here are some of the ways eLearnSecurity Certified Malware Analysis Professional certification is different from conventional certification:
- eCMAP is a comprehensive malware analysis simulation based on a real-world scenario designed by INE’s course instructors. Candidates are required to analyze a malwares sample and provide a detailed report that simulates a corporate record.
- Candidates are asked to deploy multiple advanced methodologies to conduct a thorough analysis on a given malware.
- Only individuals that provide proof of their findings in addition to identifying the vast majority of the malware’s functionality are awarded the eCMAP Certification.
- Only individuals who provide proof of their findings in addition to writing a working exploit are awarded the eCMAP Certification.
By obtaining the eCMAP, your skills in the following areas will be assessed and certified:
- Run a malware and tracking its activity
- Reverse Engineering and/or unpacking malware
- Ability to debug malware step-by-step
- Identify how the malware achieves obfuscation
- Identify C2 channels and what they are used for
- Bypass anti-analysis techniques
- Locate and analyze dropped and downloaded malware as well as persistence mechanisms
The eCMAP is a certification for individuals with highly technical understanding of systems and malware attacks. Everyone can attempt the certification exam, however here are the advised skills to possess for a successful outcome:
- Letters of engagement and the basics related to malware analysis engagement
- Deep understanding of Windows OS
- Knowledge of malware analysis processes and methodologies
- Good reverse engineering skills
- Familiarly with tools such as IDA Pro, sysinternals, x64dbg, etc.
- Ability to perform static analysis, dynamic analysis, reverse engineering, IOC creation and behavioral analysis
- Familiarity with bypassing anti-analysis tricks, unpacking, detecting persistence mechanisms, etc.
- Manual malware analysis through debugging and process analysis
- Ability to create a professional malware analysis report
eLearnSecurity’s eCMAP is the only certification for Malware Analysts that evaluates your abilities at using cutting-edge analysis techniques, inside a fully featured and real-world environment.
eLearnSecurity’s eCMAP is a hands-on challenge. The final deliverable is a working and reproducible proof of concept that is reviewed by INE’s course instructors.
1. Purchase an INE subscription and take the Malware Analysis Professional learning path.
The Malware Analysis Professional path was built for cyber security professionals with an advanced understanding of malware. The courses prepare you for the eCMAP exam through a blend of expert-led courses and practical lab time.